Holiday Fire Safety
Picking the tree
- If you have an artificial tree, check that is certified as fire retardant
- If you buy a live tree, be sure it is fresh; needles should bend but not fall off when touched
Placing the tree
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 1" - 2" from the base of the trunk
- Keep the tree a minimum of 3 feet from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Do not block an exit
- Water daily and ensure the trunk stays immersed in water
Lighting the tree
- Only use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections
- Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree
- Turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed
- Get rid of the tree when it begins dropping needles, information on Arlington County's Christmas Tree Collection.