Do you want to be a hero? Are you looking for a challenging and unique summer experience?
SAVE THE DATE: June 24-28, 2019
Teens of all genders who are at least 15 years old and not over 18 years old at the time of registration may register for and attend Camp Heat.
Application period closes May 20, 2019
This five-day overnight camp gives teens,* ages 15-18, a chance to experience firsthand what it takes to be an Arlington County Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). The participants learn about fire behavior, fire service history, career opportunities for women and men as first responders, physical fitness, nutrition, CPR and fire extinguishers but more importantly, they learn about pushing past limits, encouraging each other and working as a team. The goal of the camp is to increase the participants’ confidence and empower them to consider entering physically challenging careers, such as the fire service, later in life.
The fun-filled five-day camp includes:
- Meeting dynamic female leaders of various ranks in Arlington County Fire Department
- Participating in exercises, physical training, and Fire/EMS simulations
- Instruction and guidance from a panel of women currently serving in different facets of public service
- Experiencing the everyday life of a firefighter/EMT and eating dinner with on-duty crews at an Arlington firehouse
- Getting a taste of college life with overnight stays at Marymount University
Camp Heat empowers young females* through an introduction to the Fire and Emergency Medical Services. This is accomplished by providing an interactive, fun-filled and hands-on experience. Camp Heat builds a foundation of confidence, through skills in problem solving and teamwork and demonstrates that opportunities as first responders are not limited by gender. We will continue to inspire the young ladies* through mentorship and community engagement beyond camp.
*Teens of all genders who are at least 15 years old and not over 18 years old at the time of registration may register for and attend Camp Heat.