The Arlington County Fire Prevention Office conducts inspections of Mobile Food Units as a joint effort with the Arlington County Public Health department. Mobile food Units operated in Arlington County require a permit from the Arlington County Fire Prevention Office. This flyer provides general guidance on the requirements of the Statewide Fire Prevention Code (SFPC) and Arlington County Fire Prevention Code (ACFPC) pertaining to equipment and components commonly found on Mobile Food Units. (Referenced code numbers are identified at the end of each section where applicable)
- A commercial hood (Type I) shall be installed above all commercial cooking appliances or domestic cooking appliances used for commercial purposes that produce grease laden vapors. 609.2 SFPC
- Ventilation systems shall be appropriate for the cooking operations being conducted and capable of exhausting all byproducts of cooking operations. The hood must be designed to adequately collect and exhaust fumes, smoke and vapors from the area over which it is installed. Classified grease filters shall be in place when the equipment is used. Hood systems shall be maintained and cleaned in accordance with the SFPC. T609.3.3.1
- All Mobile Food Units with commercial cooking equipment that produce grease laden vapors shall be required to have an automatic fire extinguishing system. 904.2.1 / 904.11 SFPC
- Automatic fire extinguishing systems shall be inspected by a qualified service authority in accordance with the SFPC. These system inspections shall be witnessed at least once annually by the Arlington County Fire Prevention Office. 904.5.1/904.6.1 SFPC/901.6.3 ACFC
- Fire extinguishers are required to be maintained and inspected on an annual basis. The minimum size fire extinguisher shall be a 2A-10BC. If the operation uses a deep fryer an additional Class K portable fire extinguisher is required. 904.11.5 / 904.11.5.2 SFPC
- Use of propane (LPG)
- The system piping for LPG may require a mechanical inspection from Arlington County Building Services (ISD).
- LPG tanks and/or storage cabinets shall be labeled “PROPANE” in red 3″ letters on a contrasting background to clearly identify LPG storage locations.
- “NO SMOKING” signs shall be posted where LPG is stored or used.