10:00 am-4:00 pm
Fire Prevention Week Open House
Join us for an open house celebrating Fire Prevention Week. You and your family are invited to tour the stations, see the equipment, climb on the trucks and learn about fire safety.
The theme of 2019 Fire Prevention Week, “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!”, highlights important actions to keep yourself and your family safe from fire.
A smoke alarm is the most important safety feature of your home. Properly installed, working smoke alarms in your home cuts your risk of dying in a fire in half.
- Install on every level of your home, including the basement and in every sleeping area.
- Test smoke alarms once a month by pushing the “test button.”
- Install new batteries at least twice a year, when you change your clocks for daylight savings.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
Plan and practice a home fire escape plan with everyone in your household. In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds.
- Plan two escape routes from every room, usually a door and a window.
- Provide alternatives for anyone with a disability.
- Agree on a meeting place where everyone will gather after you have escaped.
- Fire Station 1 – Glebe Road
- Fire Station 2 – Ballston
- Fire Station 3 – Cherrydale / Military Road
- Fire Station 4 – Clarendon
- Fire Station 5 – Jefferson District / Aurora Highlands
- Fire Station 6 – Falls Church
- Fire Station 8 – Lee Highway
- Fire Station 9 – Walter Reed
- Fire Station 10 – Rosslyn
Note: Fire Station 7 is temporarily closed due to structural assessments of the apparatus bay floor. Residents of Fairlington are encouraged to visit Fire Station 9.