Arlington’s “I” Program alerts fire units about the location of persons with disabilities or those who cannot evacuate on their own. This program is for residential properties only.
Eligible Residents: those who are permanently unable to evacuate themselves
How It Works
- Call 703-228-4644 to request enrollment.
- Staff will schedule an appointment for a site visit.
- Participants are added to a computerized database.
- When firefighters are dispatched, they will be notified of the disabled person’s location within the building.
How to Use the “I” Program in Case of a Fire
- Call 911 to report the emergency.
- Inform the call taker about your particular circumstance, such as: “I am confined to bed, to the right as you enter my residence.”
- If you live in a high-rise building, and the fire incident is close to your location, firefighters will come to assist in your evacuation.
- If you are in a high-rise and the fire incident is not in close proximity, firefighters will contact you only if the situation deteriorates.
Notify us at 703-228-4644 if your circumstances change.