On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 3:37, units responded to the 4700 block of 20TH RD N, for an activated fire alarm. Upon arrival the building was being evacuated and the fire alarm was sounding. On investigation, Engine 108 found an activated sprinkler head and light smoke and steam in an apartment on the second floor. The sprinkler head had extinguished a fire in the living room area. Crews shut off the sprinkler, and assisted residents below the affected apartment with protecting their property from water damage. The Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.
- If you’re going to smoke, do so carefully.
- Fully extinguish smoking materials when discarding.
- Clean out ash trays regularly to avoid a build up of combustible materials and possible re-ignition.
- Keep combustible materials away from and out from under ash trays as they may ignite if the ash tray get’s hot.