December 31, 2018 – At 8:08 pm units were alerted for the structure fire in the 2000 block of Columbia Pike. On arrival, crews found a small fire in the oven in an apartment. The fire was quickly extinguished and fire damage was contained primarily to the oven. No injuries were reported. The Fire Marshal estimated the damage at $1,600. The fire started with the ignition of combustible products that were stored in the broiler pan while the oven was in use.
- Never store combustible objects in your oven or on your stove. This includes the broiler pan/drawer often found at the bottom of the oven.
- Always have working smoke alarms installed in or near the kitchen (at least 10 feet away from any cooking appliance to limit false alarms).
- If there’s a fire in your home, close the doors behind you when you leave the fire room and your home. Closing the doors helps contain the smoke and fire. If you can, leave the doors unlocked to speed fire department access.