On Wednesday, August 29th, 2018 at 6:42 pm, units responded to the 300 block of North Oakland Street for an odor of smoke in the home. Upon arrival Engine 101 found an odor of smoke that the homeowner said was not going away. On investigating the odor, they eventually located a fire burning in the attic space of the home. The ceiling was pulled and the fire was quickly extinguished. Crews located all extension and extinguished all hot spots. Red Cross assisted the home’s occupants. The Fire Marshal determined the cause to be an electrical malfunction and estimated damages at $60,000. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.
- Always have working smoke alarms in your home.
- If you smell smoke in your house or feel there may be a fire, call 911. It’s better to call and find nothing or a small fire, than risk waiting an allowing the fire to get bigger and more dangerous.