Heating is the second leading cause of home fires, deaths, and injuries in the United States.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source including fireplaces, wood stoves, space heaters, and radiators.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen when using your fireplace.
- Have your furnace and chimney serviced annually by a qualified professional.
- Choose space heaters that turn off automatically if they tip over.
- Turn space heaters off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas. CO poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, such as a furnace, heater or generator, is not working or vented properly. Breathing in CO at high levels can be fatal.
- Install at least one CO alarm on every level of your home.
- Test your CO alarms once a month.
Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and replace are clear of snow and other debris.
Portable generators are useful during winter storms, but if not used safely, they can cause injuries and death.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-vented areas, away from doors, windows, and vents.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running.
Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
- Consider using flameless candles in your home.
- Keep candles at least 1 foot from anything that can burn.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
- Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in a locked cabinet.
- Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.
- Inspect and replace damaged cords, broken outlets or loose connections.
- Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
- Never use extension cords with appliances. Plug them directly into wall outlets.
- Do not run electrical cords under rugs or furniture.
- Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring.